Even though we don’t know exactly when the house was built, it was almost certainly around 1800. It was probably built by the owners of Mas Gifreu de La Palma for its tenant farmers, so they could farm the crops on the great plain in front of the farm.
The house, which is completed secluded, belongs to the La Palma district of the Espinavessa, a small country village in the municipality of Cabanelles. In fact, the closest village to El Casalot is Orfes, even though it is in the district of Pla de L’estany. The border between the two districts runs right in front of the house.
The house was lived in continuously until the 1990s and was then uninhabited for a few years until 2002, when restoration work began: this was carried out gradually with painstaking attention to every detail.